Me Stuff

My photo
I am a writer currently living, working, and writing in Atlanta, GA. I moonlight as a retail merchandiser, a job I love particulary because of the creative aspect of it. I studied journalism at Los Angeles City College before deciding to change my major.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Take Action

You can let your past define you or be defined by your past.
My mother raised my brother and I on a monthly income of just 800 dollars a month yet there was always food on the table, presents under the tree whenever Christmas reared its head and new shoes in August when the school year started.
I wasn't aware then what my mother's financial problems were. All I saw was what was right in front of me. I didn't think to deeply and that's the beauty of being a kid.  You don't have to.
Still though, my childhood was less than ideal and I was troubled well into my teens. I was depressed, suicidal, and anorexic with seemingly no escape. Then in 2004 I was diagnosed with cancer (I've been cancer free since 2005).
I used to think that I was simply entitled to a better life and that the life I wanted would simply fall into my lap as long as I remained positive and spoke to my reflection in the mirror each morning.
Truth is, there are a million other people out there who have gone through what I've gone through and one million more who had it worse than I did. In their own way each and every one of them probably thinks they are simply entitled to a better life just because or that the life they want will fall into their laps.
But the life you want is not going to fall into your lap or mine either. To create the life you feel you are entitled to you have to take action. Not tomorrow, right now today.

No comments:

Post a Comment